Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Power anyone?!

Last night we had a pretty bad windstorm. Now there's something you need to know about me, I. LOVE. STORMS! Always have. Probably always will. I credit this to my parents, both of them!
I grew up in a valley. A place where you could watch the storm circle your town before it hits. We would hear thunder and run outside. We would stand in the back yard or sit on the front steps and watch my did predict where the lightning would strike. It has always amazed me how accurate he was! He would point, and then it would hit, right where he would point! I remember wishing and wishing that the power would go out. Most kids, I understand, are afraid of power outages, but that's where my parents ruled!!
We would stand out side with Dad watching the storm go around the mountains, circling our little piece of paradise and when it would start raining, we would wait a little longer, feeling the rumble of the thunder and counting the seconds between it and the strike of lightning. Predicting how far a way it was. We would stand outside until my mom stepped out and told us that our hot chocolate was ready. We then would go inside, put on dry clothes and sit in front of the fire, that my dad had now built and drink our homemade hot chocolate. Always made with milk, cream, real cocoa, vanilla and some cinnamon and nutmeg (for "nutmeg is the spice of love") Topped with real homemade real whipped cream!
When, and if the power went out my mom would light the candles that she had strategically placed around the house the minute the thunder started, and my dad would grab our flashlights. We would then sit by the fire and listen to our mom or dad tell us stories. Whether from a book or from their days growing up in Seattle.  We would play games. and sometimes just talk. We would talk about everything and anything!
It was a bummer of a time when the lights would come back on.
It is because of my parents turning something potentially scary into something fun and exciting that even as an adult I get all excited when the trees sway, rain pours, and lights flicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment